[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia Place Name

K. Gallagher gallag.4gen at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 09:07:16 PDT 2012

Thank you for both suggestions.

George, a location as far away from the Caspian Sea for his last residence seems too far from Volhynia to be the one intended, but I'll hold it in my list to check if Zdolbuniv doesn't work out.  Thank you also for the address of the German website which I haven't used before.

Jerry, you're right that the birthplace starts with H, and once that's established, it does look like Huliza.  Since I received your reply last night, I've been playing with possible phonetic variations.  The closest I can come up with is Halych, but that has arguments against it too.

It seems as though Volhynia is always shrouded in mystery.  I'm grateful to the late Allan Zelmer from Winnepeg for his insights.  A few years back, he came out of the shadows, so to speak, to fill me in on life in that region.  When his wife Lorna told me of his passing last October, she also told me that he communicated with a number of others in our group.  If you search "Allan Douglas Zelmer," those who were also blessed by his help will find his obituary.