[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] death NEUMANN Gotfryd 22 March 1938 - Ocieta Poland

David Neumann denuma at rogers.com
Tue Dec 4 21:33:12 PST 2012

Brigitte Neumann of Belgium assisted me in finding Neumann records in
Poland. This is the record of the death of Gottfried Neumann, identified as
Gotfryd. His birth year and place of birth and parents match other records I
have for Gottfried Neumann (my father’s Great Uncle). Gottfried’s father
arrived in Volhynia from Poland in about 1864. My father told me they came
from the area of Siedlce, Poland. My father told me that he knew little
about his Great Uncle Gottfried, but the story was that he left Volhynia for
Germany, and wasn’t heard from again. This record shows that Gottfried
(Gotfryd) Neumann died in Poland. Brigitte sent me scanned attachments of
the documents she ordered, and in her e-mail she translated the Polish to
German as follows:

German translation from Polish

Es ereignete sich in Sadolesiu am 22. März 1938 um sechs Uhr abends. Es
präsentierten sich als Zeugen der Landwirt Edmund Heise, 31 Jahre alt aus
Ociete und Rudolf Neumann, 31 Jahre alt aus Sójkówka und gaben bekannt, dass
in Ociete am heutigen Tage um zwei Uhr Nachmittag gestorben ist, Gotfryd
Neumann, 64 Jahre alt, Arbeiter, geboren in Wolhynien, Russland als Sohn von
Krystian und Eleonore aus dem Hause Kalasch, der verstorbene Ehegatte
Neumann hinterlässt die verwitwete Frau Emilie aus dem Hause Czepeus.

My attempt at putting it into English:

Arriving in Sadolesiu on the 22 March 1938 at 6 in the evening. farmerEdmund
Heise, age 31 from Ocieta presented as witness, along with Rudolf Neumann,
age 31, from Sokowka. They stated that on this day in Ocieta a 2 PM Gotfryd
Neumann, age 64, died. He was born in Wolhynien Russia, the son of Krystian
Neumann and Eleonore nee Kalasch.  The deceased husband, Neumann (Gotfryd)
left behind a widow, Mrs Emilie Neumann of the house of Czepeus (i.e. nee
Czepeus).

Questions:

1.       If Gottfried Neumann left Volhynia for Poland did he settle near
the area where Christian Neumann left in 1864?

2.       Is the witness Rudolf Neumann, his son?

The new information that I can add to my Neumann record:

1.       Date and location where Gottfried Neumann died – 22 March 1938 in
Ocieta Poland, and that Ocieta is near Sojkowka, and that the death was
reported to Sadolesiu.

2.       Gottfried Neumann was married to Emilie Czepeus, and she survived
his passing in 1938.

Please let me know if you have any connection to this information, or if you
have any suggestions for my attempts to trace the Christian Neumann line
back from Volhynia into Poland. When I was in Zhitomir in 2008, I found a
document in the archives that identified my Christian Neumann’s father as
Heinrich. So I need to find records for Heinrich Neumann in Poland
(Siedlce). Perhaps a birth record for Christian Neumann (1830s).

David E Neumann

519-759-7885

On Twitter @denuma99