[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 115, Issue 12: Voyage Costs across Atlantic, minimum funds on arrival

Beth Burke mackzie at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 14 06:27:01 PST 2012

Having been at Ellis Island and taken the tour, we found it interesting that
at one point the immigrants were separated into three different groups.
There was a long stairway that was divided into 1/3rds by the handrails and
people were separated into these three groups and then led down the stairway
that indicated where they were going.

One group was immigrants that were leaving the New York area and heading to
points further north. south or west.  Luckily for me, my grandparents were
sent down that set of stairs. Another set was for those people who were
planning to stay in the New York area. The third set of stairs was for those
people who were not going to be allowed entry and they were taken back to
ships for transport back to wherever it is they came from.

As a three-some family, I went down the set of steps because I was going to
Leduc, Alberta, Canada, just like my grandparents did, although later that
same year they returned to the US and settled in Gillett, Wisconsin.  I sent
my husband down the "staying in New York" set of stairs just for the heck of
it. And our then 13 year old son was sent down the "you're going back to
where you came from steps."  He was at that age where I would have
considered that had I had that option! HA!

Beth Burke
Verona, WI