[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] reference file systems

Charlotte Gorley cgorley at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 28 14:04:07 PST 2012

Hi, Lloyd,

What a timely message!  I also have a large collection of data.  Some is
stored in my electronic genealogy database, and like you, I have copious
amounts of hard copy notes, documents, and reference materials.

I'm also very interested in ways to organize this material.  What I use now
is basically four big binders, one for each branch of the family line (two
for my side, two for my husband's side).  They are labeled by surnames (my
mother's maiden name, his mother's maiden name, my father's surname, and his
father's surname).  Within the binders I have tabs arranged alphabetically
for other surnames.

I also use some 'insert' pages for loose things like envelopes, photos, etc.

This collection is growing and I see the need to soon spawn some more
binders or find another way.  This method works well for retrieving what I'm
looking for.

I also have folders (again four) for documents that I haven't filed yet, or
that need to be verified before filing.

I created a large printout of our lines which I keep on my wall for quick
referencing.  It's also a wonderful visual of our family tree.

Charlotte
(also in Victoria, BC)