[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Dialect question

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Fri Dec 28 19:28:33 PST 2012

Dan,

Hirse is pronounced like Hir-je  in German - at least in High German - or at least the German I learned anyway from my Wolhynian born parents. Think Hir like Hirohito and the se like Je in the French word for "I" - or as you've said, the s in vision or pleasure.

The s is not always pronounced like the "s" in English.

BTW  Hirsekorn means millet seed.....

The word Hirsch  means deer in English and would be another name entirely but I could see that a misspelling could occur due to misinterpretation.

Helen

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future.
--Herbert Spencer