[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 3 05:16:36 PST 2012

    My Grandfather Emil Marsch, returned to Poland from Volhynia to serve in the Russian Army from 1879 to 1884.  In a short account of this he described it as "necessary to fulfill his military duty" , i.e. drafted.  There was no war at that time. It appears the Russian army in Poland was really an occupation army.

John Marsch

  I greatfully received help with translation on Russian documents.
  Would someone be able to help me understand what the following means?

  metrical certificate issued by Novominsky uczd, military draft on November 21 (?) 1879 #138

  Also - what was happening in Poland/Russia in 1879?
  Were German men living in Poland serving in a war at that time?