[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Feb 3 11:51:24 PST 2012

John is certainly correct. Russian troops in Poland at that time were, in
effect, an occupying army. The Polish Revolt of 1863 had reconfirmed the
Russians' old distrust of the Poles. We shouldn't forget, however, that
Russian Poland was a peninsula, surrounded on three sides by Prussia and
Austria, who couldn't be trusted either. If, as Theodore Weeks says, "the
Vistula Land had a higher concentration of fortresses and other military
establishments than any other region of the empire," it was probably more
for protection from foreign attack than to control the Poles (although the
latter was certainly on their minds).
Dick Benert