[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian

Lloyd Friedrick lloydfriedrick at telus.net
Sat Feb 4 11:26:49 PST 2012

Hello John

Yup, you are right. Here is my family story. My family lived very near
Rosysszcze in the heart of old Volhynia.
My Uncle Gottleib was drafted into the Russian Army in 1904, he told us that
the first few years as a young recruit was a terrible experience. Young
draftees were subjected to considerable and hard hazing. He did manage to
move into the bridge and building section of the military and had a much
easier time.

My Uncle Karl was drafted in 1906, also at the age of 18. Under the advice
of his older brother, he strived and managed to learn to play a coronet and
got into the Military band. He was able to desert later and told us the
story of walking all the way to Germany. He emigrated to Canada sometime
later but always lived in fear that someone from the Russian military would
come and get him.

My father, Ferdinand was almost 18 in April , 1914 when the family heard
that the village schultz was instructed to produce 50 recruits for the
Russians.
The family panicked as they realized that it was going to be a terrible war.
They arranged his passage to Canada with the assistance of a local Jewish
merchant, which could be described as an early travel agent. He was smuggled
over the border to Poland in a load of hay and then onward by train and
steamship.
All details were arranged, including a few Canadian dollars sewn into the
lining of his coat and letters of introduction all the way to a Jewish
boarding house in Winnipeg. His 18th birthday occurred while he was in the
mid Atlantic. He too, always feared that the Russians would come some day to
get him to serve in their military.

lloyd friedrick in Victoria, BC