[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gotfried, Rosalie and Martha Wilde and birthplace Janowka, Poland

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 4 13:03:07 PST 2012

On 04/02/2012 1:39 PM, Marvyl Ginter wrote:
Does this sound similar?

Sometime after September 20, 1874 and before May 18, 1875 the family
moved from Poland to the province of Volhynia, Russia. Euphrosine had
given birth to son Michael in Poland in 1874 and was Godmother at the
1875 baptism of her nephew Adolf Altwasser in Shitomir Parish. We know
they were settled in Johannisdorf by 1877 where two children, Adolf and
Florentine were born. The St. Petersburg Archive extractions show a
first recorded birth at Johannisdorf on May 11, 1865 and a last recorded
birth at Johannisdorf on August 15, 1881. These dates suggest that the
village may have had another name or did not exist prior to 1865.
However, for sixteen years the German "Johannisdorf" was a community and
it is believed that the name was changed to Janowka.

two maps on this page for *Kolonie Janiewka - Janiewka - Ludwipol -
Johannisdorf - Kamionka*

http://members.shaw.ca/d_y_g/3_gottlieb.htm

Two Volhynian genealogists, Jerry Frank and Howard Krushel, have this to
say on the subject. "According to a list in Wandering Volhynians,
December 1990, Johannisdorf is also known as Zanowka and is located in
the district of Ludwigpol, east of Rowno. Look at the Stumpp map in
Wandering Volhynians, September 1990. On the left side , go up the 27
degree line until it crosses the Slutch River. Right at that point, on
the south side of the river is Ludwigpol. I have not been able to find a
village called Zanowka on any map nor any list for Volhynia. However,
there is a road from Ludwigpol that heads NW along the SW bank of the
Slutsch River. A short 4-km up along that road is the village of Janowka
and a further 2-km along is the village of Kolonie Janowka. In my
opinion Zanowka is wrong and the place is probably Janowka or Kolonie
Janowka"

Hope this helps.

Jack Milner