[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Janowka, Poland

karlann at juno.com karlann at juno.com
Sun Feb 5 10:42:07 PST 2012

There may be more than one Janowka. There is a village of Janowka in Rozysczce parish, near Lutsk, in what was "Russia" until WWI and is now "Ukraine." My grandmother was born in this village of Janowka in 1895.  She emigrated before WWI, but between the wars this area was called "Poland." Marriages, births, and deaths for this village are in the  Rozysczce  parish records. My grandmother called the village "Helenowka," but I found that all the family events were recorded as being in "Janowka".
Needless to say, knowing the name of a place is sometimes half the battle. If you know the approximate year of birth, the SGGEE database indexes can be helpful in narrowing your search.
Karla Walters