[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] travel to Polish/Volhynian sites

Carolyn Schott cgschott at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 12:52:53 PST 2012

I haven't traveled to any of the Polish towns that my ancestors came from,
so can't help you with those specifics. But I have traveled to a number of
my ancestral towns in Ukraine, Moldova, Hungary, and Germany. And a couple
pieces of advice that I would have are:

1) Be sure to have someone with you who can speak the language. This makes
it MUCH more interesting as you can converse with the people in the town,
ask questions, etc.

2) If there's any way you (or your translator) can make contact in advance
with someone in the town, you're likely to really get a grand tour. (I had a
fabulous time in one of my Hungarian towns when I contacted the guy in
charge of the ethnic German museum in advance. He turned out to be the
mayor, too. I had lunch with he and his wife, met the Lutheran pastor and
got into the church, got to hold the original church books, got a tour of
the cemetery, etc.)

3) That may be less practical in the very small villages, but when you get
there, don't hesitate to stop people on the street and ask about where to
find the old German cemetery, etc.  Or if there's a village administration
office, that's another good place to go ask. My experience in Ukraine and
Moldova was that people were very friendly and very helpful. And the little
old ladies hanging out on the benches in front of their homes know all the
gossip and history.

Have fun!

Carolyn Schott
Author of "Yes You Yes Now! Visiting Your Ancestral Town"
www.carolynschott.com