[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] travel to Polish/Volhynian sites

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 17:27:42 PST 2012

Kenneth:  Just a quick add on to what Jerry wrote about autos:  If you ultimately decide to rent a car, make sure that you have written permission from the rental company and insurance coverage to cross borders with the vehicle, especially if you are renting it in what used to be a  "Western Europe" country.  The really big problem in the east is auto theivery so you must plan to park your car for overnight in a locked and guarded parking area.  Best wishes.  Greg
On Feb 13, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Kenneth Browne wrote:

> On 02/13/2012 10:47 AM, Jerry Frank wrote:
>> I haven't been there yet but am planning a trip for later this year.
>>
> Thanks to Jerry and all the many others who've responded to my
> original post, many off list, some old contacts making reacquaintance,
> etc.
>
>> Don't expect many tourism type sites if you go into Ukraine.  There
>> is a palace at Olyka between Luck and Rowno but otherwise I suspect
>> your time there will be with ancestral villages.  Also, don't expect
>> pensions or b&bs there.  You will likely be staying in a hotel.
>>
> I'm not sure if I will have to enter Ukraine or not. It seems I can't
> figure out just what is meant by Roschischtsche/Rozhysche. If it is in
> Ukraine, and my Lachmann's are from around Kielce, some born in
> Vincentow, Antonielow, and earlier generations in or around Wroclaw.
> Even my ggf Samuel, born in 1865 has me confused. Was he born in
> Rozhysche? or Helenow? I've have some original documents but between
> my not understanding German or Polish, and the handwriting I can't be
> certain of what I am seeing :-( . I really need to get these facts
> straight before I can plan a real itinerary.
>> If you are at all considering renting a car, you can do so in either
>> country but you cannot transport it from one to the other because
>> Ukraine is not an EU country.
> My last trip was mostly in Spain although we went over the border to
> France for a day trip to Carcassonne and back to Barcelona through the
> Pyrenees. Same EU border crossing issues or should I say non-issues.
> When we traveled around Central Europe in 1999 it was by train and
> there were passport stampings at each occasion where we crossed a
> frontier. In Spain/France it was no different than driving into New
> Hampshire from Massachusetts.
>> Czech to Poland is probably OK.  Rail can work to and from certain
>> locations.  Depends where you have to get to.  It did not work for
>> me trying to get from Warsaw to Rowno because it involved a 6 hour
>> change of trains layover in a small town at 2AM.  It is cheaper,
>> easier, and faster to fly Warsaw to Kiev and then rent a car for the
>> 5 hour drive to Rowno.
>>
>> Poland is a bit better.  More tourist sites for you wife are found
>> there.  Krackow is apparently a nice city and might be a good spot
>> for day trips to the famous salt mine with its huge underground
>> church and sculptures, Auschwitz, the Black Madonna at Czestochowa,
>> the mountains to the south, the Kielce region for your villages, etc.
>>

>> Jerry

>>> 1875. (I don't know if these place names represent what we would