[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GERTRUD MANTEI obit

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Wed Jan 18 09:51:16 PST 2012

Over Christmas this obituary for GERTRUDE ELFRIEDE MANTEI (new BIRKHOLZ) was in the Toronto Star.  My mother was an acquaintance through her own friend, OLGA LITKE .  The Mantei and Litke families are also from Wolhynia and came after the War (as did mine).

There is a distant Mantei connection in my family, but they are related to Brenners and Baiers in Benton Harbor, Michigan who immigrated there ca. 1903-05.  I have not been able to make a connection to this family, but then, the connection is pretty distant.  Maybe this ERNST MANTEI and his wife, GERTRUD ELFRIEDE BIRKHOLZ are related to someone in the group.

Helen Gillespie

Obit from Toronto Star dated 26 December 2011

Gertrud Elfriede Mantei
 title=Photo>

MANTEI, Gertrud Elfriede (nee Birkholz) - Peacefully, surrounded by her family on Thursday, December 22, 2011 at Bethell House Hospice in her 83rd year. Beloved wife of Ernst for 59 years. Loving mother of Rolf (Donna), Werner (Angie) and Sigrid (Roland Stebner). Dear Oma of Daniel, Julie, Justin, Aaron, Caroline, Jaquelin, Ryan, Eric and Evelyn. Cherished sister of Elli Goldenstaedt and Erwin Birkholz and sister-in-law of Elli Foerster, Siegbert Mantei and Erwin (Eva) Mantei. Gertrud was predeceased by brothers Emil, Fritz, August, Hermann, Willi and sisters Gati, Louise and Wanda. She will be forever loved and greatly missed by her many nieces, nephews, family and friends. A heartfelt thank you to Bethell staff for their loving care and kindness. Friends will be received at the Ward Funeral Home, 2035 Weston Rd. (North of Lawrence Ave. W.), Weston, on Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. and on Wednesday from 10 a.m. until time of the
 service at 11 a.m. at German Church of God, 9 McArthur St., Toronto. Interment to follow at Sanctuary
Park Cemetery . In lieu of flowers, donations to Bethell House Hospice, www.bethellhospice.org would be appreciated. Please visit a Book of Memories at www.wardfuneralhome.com
  Found 2 Mantei listings in Toronto:

E Mantei
(416) 244-6736