[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Dobberstein

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Tue Jan 31 09:37:38 PST 2012

Hi Christine - What you are describing as name changes are very, very
common, perhaps moreso with Germanic names (not forgetting all the other
Europeans for one second) but if you research the sounds, [the German sounds]
more than the spellings, I think you will find there is no single "correct"
spelling.   There simply were no spelling rules until around the time  that
civil registrations began in Germany, or its predecessor areas, around 1875
or so.  Anglicized spellings were, and are, very common, so name  changes
could happen very easily.  So-called standardized  spellings did not really
take hold in the USA until around 1910-1920 -  and some are still evolving.

George is correct that a formal name change would need to be accomplished
through a court procedure, but that would have been (and still is)
time-consuming and expensive.

Bear in mind too, that in many German dialects, the sound of "b" is pretty
much identical to the sound of "p", hence many "p" words appearing under
"b".   Same goes for "t", "dt", "th" appearing under "d" because  that's how
they sound.    And - there are many, many, many  dialects across Germany,
plus all the old ones now obsolete.

There are numerous etymological books and databases around for surnames,
which can get pretty interesting and sometimes surprising.    In  Hans
Bahlow's "Dictionary of German Names" (English edition), Dobberstein  (Pommern):
probably a place name like Dobberphul (3 times in Pommern).  For
Dobbelstein: see Dabelstein.   Dabelstein, Dabelsteen, Dobbelstein  (Low German) =
dobel-sten "die", the dice-player or dice-thrower.  See also  Däbeler
(Daebeler), Dobelstein, Kolberg 1315, Lüneburg (Lueneburg)  1354.

In Hanks & Hodges' "Dictionary of Surnames", Doppler - German  nickname for
a gambler or occupational name for a maker of dice, from an agent
derivitive of Middle High German dopel(stein) die (see also Tobel).   Varieties:
Töppler, Doppelstein, Dobbelstein.    Cognitives:  Low German:  Däbel(er),
Dabelstein, Dabelsteen.

In Otto Goebel's "Niederdeutsche Familiennamen":  de Dobbeler,  Döb(be)ler,
Dabler Dabelste(e)n, -stein - Würselspieler (I think), -macher, vgl.
Dreidoppel.   Written in fraktur.

Hope you will search out original handwritten documents, to see where those
 spellings originated and where they changed.    Some changes were
deliberate, some were not.   You likely know that 'stein' means stone,  and 'von'
usually means 'from' and is often omitted in U.S. records.

Have to clean out the coffee I just spilled all over my keyboard.   Hope
this helps a bit.

Maureen Schoenky (originally Schoenke)

In a message dated 1/31/2012 8:41:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,