[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Researching Gusa and Brutke family from Rovno Russia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 4 15:58:16 PDT 2012

I will start by jumping in with some explanations.  Hopefully others can help with family connections.

Extractions of data can often have significant spelling errors.  I did a Google search for Gubsowski and the only hits I got were to that passenger ship extraction.  On the other hand, there are numerous hits for Gusowski so it seems that the latter spelling is more accurate.

Similarly for Tomasnaw - this is almost certainly Tomaszow.  Tomaszow is only a couple of km from Anieluwka where you may recall I suggested some of your other family connections lived.  Tomaszow and Anieluwka are both located in Rowno Province (the Ob in your destination is an abbreviation for Oblast = province).  Today Tomaszow no longer exists as a separate village but is part of the southeast end of Postojno / Postine - Google Map coordinates 50.91061,26.143312 .

It is also possible that some members of your family had already changed their surname before leaving Russia.  Look at the note for August G.  His nearest relative is Adolf G. in Auslufka.  There is no such place as Auslufka and again I would suggest that this is a misrepresentation of Anieluwka.  If you check our VKP database, you will see the birth of Adolf Guse in Anieluwka to Friedrich Guse and Wilhelmine Apelt 15 Mar 1883.  Not possible to say with absolute certainty that this is the same person but seems at least to be quite coincidental.  Anieluwka (today known as Hannivka) is a short distance west of Tomaszow.

It is important that you get a copy of the original ship record for yourself so that you can verify these misspellings.  The LDS microfilm number is given on the page you linked for us.

Jerry