[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] geography assistance: "Gruec"?

Craig Schiller craigbear at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 15:56:49 PDT 2012

We have a birthdate of 1885 for Edward; we have estimated (not
confirmed) birthdates for the brothers of 1887 for Paul, 1889 for
George and 1891 for Gottlieb, but nothing for either of the sisters as
far as I know. The confirmation certificate was filed in Rozhische, so
we can presume that even if some or all of the siblings were born in
or near Kalisz, the family had moved to Volhynia by 1900 and many
records will be located there instead of in or near Kalisz.

Edward and Christine emigrated to Canada in 1913. According to our
family knowledge as it stands, Paul and George came to Canada for a
visit sometime between the First and Second World Wars, and then
emigrated to the United States -- but sometime during the Second World
War, they lost contact and were never heard from again before my
great-grandfather died in 1965. We don't have any of the
correspondence from before that happened to pin down where in the US
they were living, so we may never know where they ended up or how they
lost contact. Gottlieb, as far as we know, went back to Germany
proper; the sisters supposedly married a pair of brothers named
Hoffman and moved somewhere in Russia.

We do have some information about my great-grandmother as well as
needing to track down more, but to try to keep this manageable I'm
concentrating on one issue at a time instead of trying to do it all at
once.