Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] not everyone came from Württemberg

Christian Lucht christianlucht at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 3 11:26:33 PDT 2012

Hello Al,

first of all thank you very much for writing this down! It really helped me
getting all the infos on my search that I could gather over the last
years in order. Which by the way too includes the area of the Evangelical
parish of Babiak as well as the village of Bycz in the Sompolno area.

I´m glad to hear that someone else thinks alike about the Württemberg
"problem" and has trouble tracing family further back than the South
Prussian land records from 1794.

Acording to those land records my Lucht line starting with Christoph has
lived in the vilage of Lukaszewko, parish of Strzyzewo near Gniezno before
moving on to Center-Poland (South Prussia) one genaration later. This
small settlement of only five households with a total number of 26 people
seemed to be found only a few years earlier than 1794 and I have not found
any kind of records other than the land records yet. Did they not have to
register themselves at that time? If there hasn´t been an Evangelical
parish found yet why did they not go to the catholics like they did in
Center-Poland in the early years? But even the catholic church records of
Strzyzewo only begin in 1828. Wher did the "natives" register themselves
before 1828?

Since the Luchts have not been "beamd down" into Lukaszewko I too checked
the Breyer-map, did research on the meaning and the orgin of the name and
so on. I came to the conclution that they only lived there for a few years
do to whatever reasons.

I also have looked at the West Prussian Land Register form 1772/73. They
have been written down only 20 years earlier thasn the South Prussian ones.
There is only one match on a Christoph Lucht who has lived in the settement
of Borowka near Graudenz with the total number of 28 people.

Since the land there too as well as Lukaszewko has been sandy and poor my
guess is that he kept on moving towards a better chance to find good soil
for good crops only staying a few years at one spot.

But this remains a guess untill some vital records would appear and even
then, he still seems to be "beamed down" into Poland from who knows where.

Anyway. Thank you so much for this topic and be sure my feelings are with
you as they feel alike.

Christian Lucht

P.S. I have been in Bycz a year ago and the old houses from back than when
our ancestors lived there seem to disapear soon. There too is some sort of
a mining area close by which might expend and swallow the whole village. So
if you are thinking about doing a trip make it happen sooner than later.
Poland is changing its beautiful face in a fast move toward
modernisation ever since they entered the European Union.