[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Neustadt in der Lubliner Gegend

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 11:44:58 PDT 2012

Neustadt is Nowa Wieś in Polish; there are many of these in Poland.
There is no guarantee that he was born in the Lublin area.

>From what I can see, Ludwig and his wife Ida arrived in New York
on 23 June 1923 on the "Statendam".  They were Brazilian citizens,
and their destination was Gillett, Wisconsin.

At www.ancestry.com, indexers used the spelling Ludovig Shlak.

It is interesting that the ship sailed from Boulogne-sur-Mer. this gives
us a clue to how travel arrangements took place.  We do not
know how or when he left Russian Poland and got to Brazil.
all the children are listed as Brazilian citizens.

But, from Brazil, they returned to France, and from their took ship
for New York.

At ancestry,com, there is a Public Member Tree where it is said
that Ludwig died in 1930.  His death certificate may provide the names
of his parents.  I am not aware of a free database, so you will need
to spend some money for this record.

Ida Kessler (or Kesler)'s birth record and that of several siblings is
indexed in SGGEE's Lublin Digital Archive Search Utility in a free area of
the SGGEE website.  On the upper right side of the starting page,
select Research, then Database Links, then SGGEE public, then CLICK.

go to the second set of items headed "Trinity Lutheran Church" in Lublin.
Search using multiple spellings

I am unfamiliar with a link between Schlak and Schlacht.  the first name is
very common in Russian Poland; the second, is rare.

Al Muth