[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Rittergut near old Stettin

Lloyd Friedrick lloydfriedrick at telus.net
Tue Jun 19 10:55:08 PDT 2012

Recently discovered notes from a deceased cousin tell us that my great grandmother was born approx 1833 in Stettin, Pomerania.

She married a person known only as Baron von Thrun. She inherited a vast estate which she was forced to sell approx 1871. I found a reference to land holdings in this area that showed a property owned by a Gottleib Thrun but the dates indicate that this may be her father in law.

She called this estate Rittergut.  My question is this;  Is Rittergut a proper noun or is it simply a common word describing a land holding.

Lloyd Friedrick in British Columbia