[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 109, Issue 18

Bronwyn Klimach bronklimach at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 04:13:04 PDT 2012

Hi Carolyn,
I was most interested to read of your experience of finding Euphrosine also
appearing as Eva Rosine - not something that I have observed but I will be
looking out for it now!

The name certainly seems to have had a popular revival - although I am not
sure you can date and locate quite as easily as with my own first name...
 Günther Böhm posted that 'since J.W. Goethe's elegia "Euphrosyne" (1797)
it became fashionable in the freethinking educated middle-class. But
Euphrosyne was also a rarely used Egypt saint's name and the name of
several Polish noblewomen.'  I feel that the name went well beyond the
'middle-class'.  Al previously pointed out that 'Euprosine is a common
German name in Russian Poland, particularly in areas on the north side of
the Wisla river.'  I have encountered several Euphrosines in ethnic German
families I have researched in the Rosenberg (Susz) region in the mid1800s.
 Most of these families were lowly labourers on manorial estates.

Jack Milner provided this site, with English pronunciation:
http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Euphrosyne.
However I feel certain that German speakers would have said the name
noticeably differently. (Think of the Euro, the currency so much in the
news at present and which sounds quite different in German from in
English.)  I think Euphrosine and Ewa Rosine should have sounded noticeably
different from each other...

Brandt, did you give a date for the marriage entry?  I don't think you can
reasonably come up with any connection to Hungary for your Euphrosine
without documented evidence.

As for Krystyan - our 'German' cousin Freddie (Friedrich) born in Poland
seems amused that the spelling Fryderyck is on his birth entry.
Krystyna looks a very pretty name to me...
These first name spellings are very much a product of time and location and
usually easier to recognise between Polish and German records than in later
Cyrillic documents.
Bronwyn.