[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Jurisdictions in Volhynia and Poland

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:40:18 PDT 2012

Brandt,

Sorry for the slow response to your questions.

You should read our location guidelines and the appendix (shows
examples), and the gazetteers at the first item at
http://sggee.org/research/village_maps   The simple answer is that for
the purposes of our databases, which need standardized locations to
merge is that we do not use a location name that represents the
historical one, but rather the present-day name.   The reasons for this
are many, and are discussed in the guidelines.

In our Volhynia gazetteer, at the link noted above, you will see that
there are two different  Uljanowka in the Zhitomir area.   Look at each
set of coordinates in Google Earth and determine which location is yours.

In our Congress Poland gazetteer, you will find an entry for Kepa
Kikolska- again, you need to look at the location in Google Earth and
decide if this place is your location.   Be aware that there are usually
many locations with the same village name in Poland.   I do not see the
Reischewo village in our Congress Poland gazetteer.   Is that a Polish
spelling?   Please provide more information on this location.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager