[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] When Germans left Volhynia

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Mar 8 11:04:00 PST 2012

Eduardo and all,

Michael Kostiuk devotes several pages of his book, Die deutschen Kolonien in
Wolhynien, to emigration from Volhynia to other parts of Russia.  I'll just
repeat what he says.

Many of the early Mennonites left. In 1835 they left Ostrog for Taurien
Province, and others left from Annette to go to Cherson. In 1861, colonists
from Rozyszcze applied for permission to go to the Crimean area. In 1884 a
group from Bielaszew were refused permission to emigrate (he doesn't say
where to). In 1890, groups of Germans left for Chernigov and Poltava where
land was cheaper and the government offered better settlement conditions.
Others went to southern Ukraine where the government offered lower taxes.

In the 1890s, Siberia became a favorite destination. Others went to Samara,
Saratov, and on to Kazakhstan. In 1899, 32 families went to Siberia, and 20
families went all the way to the Amur region. In 1907, Volhynian Germans
founded a colony near Tomsk.

In other words, it is pretty hard to point to any place where your Kommers
family would MOST likely have gone.  Unless I'm mistaken, Siberia would not
have been very likely for the late 1870s. More likely some place closer, to
the east or south.

Dick Benert