[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] First name Reginald

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 07:56:57 PDT 2012

Eduardo -

A most interesting question, and interesting answers!   In my  experience,
travels and reading, Reginald is a common given name in the  USA, moreso
than Regina, I think, which I would venture  is more popular in the U.K. than
in the USA..   But that's  an excellent insight from Jerry.   I think all of
us genealogists know that  names can be derived, and evolve, from many
sources, including some  parents' wild imaginations (including mine).   .

According to Hanks & Hodges' Dictionary of  Surnames, Reginald/Regenald
seems to come under the category of  Reynold:  English; from a Germanic
personal name composed of the elements  ragin counsel + wald rule, which was first
introduced to  England by Scandinavian settlers in the Old Norse form
Rögnvaldr (see Ronald),  and greatly reinforced after the conquest by the Norman
forms Reinald,  Reynaud.   Listed are a couple dozen varieties in cognitive,
diminutive and patronymic forms, for France, Germany, Northern Italy. and
England

Prussia, as we know, covered a huge swath of Europe as it came and  went,
being mostly Germanic, Polish, Baltic areas.

T. Maureen Schoenky  (California, USA)

In a message dated 3/22/2012 5:35:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,