[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] First name Reginald

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 10:33:08 PDT 2012

Eduardo,

Gary's information that the name Reginald is related to both Reynald and
Reinhold provides you with a possible answer. I have been working with
the Lublin Project to index records from that parish church. The birth
index shows 210 babies born with that given name; the MPD shows 1310
births. Many of these people also traveled on to Volhynia. I even have a
living first cousin born there whose name is Reinhold and he has a
cousin with the same name. Records for Poland and Volhynia were often
written in Russian. The Cyrillic alphabet has no separate letter for g
and h, so that letter is open to interpretation by other readers. Most
documents showed German names with a phonetic Russian spelling. Later,
someone had to interpret that back to German (or English or Spanish).
So, a name that looked like "Rengold" in Russian could easily be turned
into the more familiar "Reginald" to someone from another country. You
would have to try to trace which documents held various spellings of the
name.

You asked if the name could indicate origin. You could do a search in
the MPD, using just the given name, and see if there is a pattern for
where the earliest known records come from. But that would still be a guess.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry
Pohl, Domres, Hapke, Wolski, Buettner/Bittner, Gatzke, Mantei, Kuehn, etc.