[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] - Glor /Bonakowski Surnames

Kenneth Browne kbrowne01518 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 05:33:40 PDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 05:39 AM, Hannes Werner wrote:
> found this at German states archive:
>
> "Bonakowski, Albert, living at colony of Janowka/Volynia"
> Source is : Bundesarchiv, Sign. R57 neu, Bd. 1502
> This source deals with resettlements from Volynia.
>
> On the backside of this document is a notice:
> Wilhelmine SCHIELKE nee Bonakowski - 1925 to Goldap/East-Prussia"

snipped for brevity
> Maybe it helps a little bit
I have Lachmann ancestors (1.) Karl 2.) Johann Gottfried 3.) Samuel
George who lived around Kielce. Samuel emigrated in 1886 or 1891 and
settled in Chicago. I've been trying to track some of his relations
who stayed in Europe.

The above-quoted post raises a question (or perhaps provides an
answer) about one of my brick walls. I've been trying to figure out
why one of my Lachmann relatives would have left Poland/Volhynia and
returned to Germany as early as 1931, their ancestors having been
there for several generations. In particular, a Jewish sister-in-law
Beile Lachmann wrote my ggfather (Samuel) in Yiddish in 1931 and again
in 1935 and 1937 (in English) and the letters had a return address in
Berlin.

When you mention "resettlements from Volhynia" and cite the case in
"1925 to Goldap/East Prussia" does this mean that there was a
resettlement program for ethnic Germans well before Hitler's coming to
power? If so, was it a voluntary program or was it somehow
enforceable? By the time my sister-in-law wrote my ggf in 1937
she states that she and her husband were unable to "return to Poland"
because they had no passports. I wonder if they had resettled in
Germany, perhaps under favorable conditions, which later turned very
UNfavorable when Hitler came to power????

--
Kenneth Browne researching: BROWN(E) LEIGHTON TAYLOR CLOUGH/CLUFF
LACHMANN RUSSELL MORSE PETTENGILL NOBLE SMALL WOLF MROCH LUEDTKE HECKBERT