[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Johann Schlegel parents

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:12:40 PDT 2012

Clinton,

To begin with, you need to look at the sample birth, marriage and death
records for Poland at

http://sggee.org/research/translation_aids

so that you understand what information is usually on each of those records.

The names of Johann Schlegel and his wife, Hedwig (=Jadwiga) Jablonski,
were found in the Evangelical Lutheran 1864 Dabie marriage record of
their son, Anton.   The only way to find more information on Johann or
his wife Hedwig is to first look at that marriage record, as on it will
be their places of residence, and likely Johann's profession, and also
whether both were living or already deceased (dates of death of parents
may sometimes also be included, as is remarrying of one of the parents,
if that occurred).   You then need to find them in other parish records,
hopefully the same parish that their son was married in.   If they are
not already deceased in 1864, you might want to first see if they show
up in later death records, but by the time you get to about 1868, the
Polish records will change to Russian, and unless you can read Cyrllic,
the task becomes more difficult.   If they are already deceased in 1864,
then look for their death records in an earlier time, hopefully in the
same parish, but you will not know until you look.    Next look for the
marriage of other siblings of Anton to see if more data on the parents
is shown there.   Next look for the marriage record of Johann and Hedwig
(=Jadwiga), which will of course tell you who their parents are.  Be
aware that Lutheran parish records start at various times in Poland, and
before the start of records in any given parish, the events were either
recorded in in a more distant Lutheran parish, or the closest Catholic
parish.

To assist you further as to what the next step might be for this
particular couple, you might want to visit

http://sggee.org/members/job_central-partB.html

to see what data has already been extracted for each parish that we have
data on.   In this case, for Babiak, the listing shows that not all
deaths have been extracted, but that all births and marriages back to
1826 have been extracted and are in our databases.   That said, you may
find death data by looking at the filmed records that you can order and
have sent to your nearest Family History Center.   There does not appear
to be marriage data for Johann and Hedwig (=Jadwiga), so they were
apparently married before the Lutheran parish records started being kept
(so look in the nearest Catholic parish records), or they moved in from
another parish.   Look closely for death records for older siblings of
Anton, as the birth place noted in that death record will likely lead
you to the place where the parents lived early in their marriage.

I think from the above, you will discover why we find it necessary to
extract records from entire parishes.

Volunteers are greatly needed to extract records for our databases.
You do not need to know Polish to start extracting, but you do need some
fortitude to learn how to read Polish handwriting well enough to extract
the records.   It will seem overwhelming to begin with, but the longer
you look at it, and compare it to the translation template, you will see
that with few exceptions that everything is the same from record to
record except the names, dates ages and places.

Gary Warner
SGGEE Databases Manager