[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Berlin archives

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Mon Mar 26 12:28:46 PDT 2012

   Hello Carol,

       Tell us a little more about the ancestors you are looking for
  (especially places and dates) and then we can give you some advice.

       There are several different archives in Berlin that might help you.
  The Evangelisches Zentralarchiv in Berlin might not be the best place to
  visit, because most of their church-books are available as LDS microfilms,
  and it would be a pity to travel all that way, and then sit looking at
  the same microfilm you could have seen back where you are.

        You might do better at the Bundesarchiv (Berlin branch of the
  National Archives) and at the Geheimes Staatsarchiv ("secret" state
  archive), which has lots of early Prussian government records.

        How well can you read German?

            Paul Rakow (ex-Berliner)
            rakow at ifh.de