[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Berlin archives

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Thu Mar 29 13:42:11 PDT 2012

   Hello again Carol,

       Dolfusbruch is a lucky place to have as your ancestral village
  there should be some records to see in Berlin.

       Dolfusbruch will probably have some detailed tax records etc in the
  Geheimes Staatsarchiv. That's because it was a village that belonged
  directly to the King (ie to the Prussian state), not to some noble.
  That means the government kept more records for that place than most.

      The royal villages in that area were administered from the nearby
  town Schloppe; so what you want to look for in catalogues is documents
  concerning Amt Schloppe. The LDS have filmed some tax records for Amt
  Schloppe, on film 585692. That would be worth looking at to see if there
  are any familiar families mentioned. There will probably be more records
  that haven't been filmed about Amt Schloppe in the Geheimes Staatsarchiv
  in Berlin, if you think you would be interested I can give you some
  suggestions about which catalogues to look in - the archive can be a
  confusing place.

       The Lutheran church for Dolfusbruch was in Sch"onlanke, the church
  books for that parish are in the Polish archive in Pila, they don't seem
  to have been filmed. (These are probably the duplicate church books,
  they cover the years 1829-1874.)  There are also earlier church records
  from a reformed protestant church in Sch"onlanke (Calvinist instead of
  Lutheran).

       The Geheimes Staatsarchiv also has many records generated by the
  Regierung Bromberg, the provincial administration for the Bromberg area.
  You mention a place "Rnan", I don't think it is a proper place name,
  maybe you should get someone else to look at that record again.

        A lot of the most interesting records held by the Geheimes
  Staatsarchiv are kept in storage site in East Berlin; they take 3 or 4
  days to arrive, so it's important to order the documents you want in
  plenty of time.

        Most of the catalogue is in books, but they have put part of
  their catalogue on-line. I just checked that, and found at least
  one document you should definitely check:

======

....Bestand: XVI. HA, Rep. 30 - Regierung zu Bromberg
.....VE: Pr?stationstabellen im [mit Schloppe kombinierten] Dom?nenamt Sch?nlanke

Signatur 	XVI. HA, Rep. 30, 4155
Datierung 	1815 - 1865
Titel 	Pr?stationstabellen im [mit Schloppe kombinierten] Dom?nenamt Sch?nlanke

====

    A Praestationstabelle lists taxes and duties of the farmers, and tells you
  how much land they had; and sometimes also lists some of the workers,
  cottagers and other "small people". This one covers the right area and
  dates for you.

        I think Boguslawka was in the part of Volhynia that was Polish
  between WWI and WWII. That means that the Germans still living there
  were expelled near the start of WWII. The Bundesarchiv in Berlin has
  paper records on these people, so you might get hints about family
  members who stayed in Volhynia. Hannes Werner has already explained
  how to find these records. They are similar to some of the EWZ records
  you can see on microfilm, but I think the ones in the Bundesarchiv
  haven't been filmed, though they include a lot of the same individuals.

       I hope these suggestions are of some help,

              Paul Rakow
              rakow at ifh.de