[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Terminology: Legal Tutor

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:48:31 PDT 2012

Gene,

You need to understand that in Polish, virtually every word in a
sentence is conjugated.   That
means in the case of names, that you will almost never see the name in
sentence form written
as you would in a list, such as in an index.   For instance, Johann in
German would be the Polish
version of Jan in a list, but Jana in a sentence in the old records.
The given names I have generally
figured out- it is the village names, and sometimes the surnames that
are still making me loony.

Gary Warner