[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Julian calendar

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Tue May 8 05:46:23 PDT 2012

Thanks, Bronwyn.

That's a very interesting site and gives complete information. I think
the most important point for us to remember in genealogy research is
that Russia had control of a large portion of Poland in the 19th century
and they required vital statistics dates to be in the Julian calendar in
1868 (though the Poles and Germans had been using the Gregorian calendar
dates long before this). We see many records from Poland written in
Russian that provide both dates. However, sometimes the person writing
the date only uses the Julian date, especially in Volhynia. To be
consistent with our Gregorian calendar customs, we should count forward
12 days (13 days after 1900) for a date if only one is given, and put a
note in the record about the Julian date.

It is very possible that individuals' vital records will switch back and
forth between these dates, depending on what they were told about the
date and if documents carried by them were written by Russian
authorities before 1918. Please note also that in any Napoleonic
paragraph record, the prominent date which is given at the beginning is
the date the record is made, i.e. baptism and marriage ceremonies or the
recording of a death. The actual birth or death are mentioned in the
body of the paragraph and it may provide only words like "yesterday",
"day before yesterday", etc. Someone may take the date at the beginning
as the date of the event when providing information for another
document. We should remember all these factors when reconciling
discrepancies in dates.

Sigrid