[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] MANKE in West Prussia then Volhynia

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 11:10:42 PDT 2012

The basic website (I think) for researching in what was Westpreussen is
www.westpreussen.de

Starting in 1855, Nieder Ausmaß (
http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=4749)
was part of the Lutheran parish of Groß Lunau.

Prior to that time, you will need to look at records either in Kulm or
Graudenz.
The website says:
     Die Kirchengemeinde Groß Lunau wurde
     im Jahre 1855 aus zuvor zu Graudenz und
     Kulm eingepfarrten Ortschaften gebildet.

I am unaware of *no source* (either in print or online)
that pinpoints which parish is the appropriate one
for each village, at each year.  The gazetteers
refer only to the situation at a given moment in time.
The beauty of this website is that it DOES provide
a bit of this needed parish history.

And, if the whereabouts of records is unknown
or believed to be destroyed, the website will
say so, as it does for Schlochau:  "[ Die Kirchenbücher]...
wurden wahrscheinlich im Verlaufe des zweiten
Weltkrieges vernichtet."

Sad words, in any language:  The records were likely
destroyed during the course of the Second World
War.

By the way, LDS has microfilmed both Kulm and
Graudenz records.

Good luck.

Al Muth

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Christopher Menke <chrismenke at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I was an SGGEE member in 2006 and glad to be back, especially now that I
have much new family information.

> My G-G-grandfather Christoph Manke was born to Heinrich Manke and Maria
Schroeder in Nieder Ausmaas, Culm, West Prussia in 1831. I am seeking
information on him or his parents (parents birth dates, places, etc...).
> Christoph was father to my G-grandfather Gustav Manke born in Alexandria,
Volhynia (NE of Rowno) in 1884. Mother was Emilie Brandt.
> I am not sure when Christoph left the Culm area to go to Volhynia.
According to his death certificate he had a wife before Emilie.