[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] MANKE in West Prussia then Volhynia

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 10:54:41 PDT 2012

Kartenmeister is only as good as the sources it uses.
(I will confess to using it very frequently, almost daily)
It is based on the gazetteers that were generated
at the time of the 1905 Prussian gazetteer.
The information provided is only a snapshot of the
situation of parish association specific to that year.

It does not specify the year that parish
was founded, or what earlier residents were
doing before that time.  (Not Kartenmeister's purpose)

I have a friend in the Detroit area for whom we
determined a parish in Pommern based on the
information that the gazetteers provided.  All
known information about that parish points to
the destruction of the records in WW2.  Someone
in Poland determined that the village involved
actually belonged to an earlier parish (before 1870's
time period).  And my friend was able to add
several generations of ancestors.

Or, sometimes parish boundaries are redrawn.
I know that my family's village Stypin
(52°20' N 18°49' E) was associated with Babiak
Evangelical parish until the 1840's when it
switched over to Przedecz.  No published
source will tell you that information, or the
fact that before 1828 or so, my family was
registering births at the Catholic parish
of Modzerowo.  Mind you, Stypin is only
10 kilometers from the Lutheran parish of
Babiak.  From the 1790's to mid 1820's,
the Lutheran family was registering in
the Catholic church.

This kind of information is acquired by
experience and is sporadic, by definition.
It cannot be encyclopedic, as there
are not enough people indexing records,
much less extracting them.

al