[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Moved Back to Germany in the World War Years

Christopher Menke chrismenke at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 16:45:28 PDT 2012

In doing my family research I have noticed an intriguing fact. A numbers of my great-grandfather's cousins who did not go to Volhynia, but stayed in West Prussia (Kulm/Graudenz area) went back to Germany during the war years. A good number, more than coincidental I believe, settled in Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen).
Is it possible that:
A) They went there as part of a relocation plan by the governments?
B) More interesting...is it possible they went there because after 7 or so generations in West Prussia that part of Germany was still remembered as the "ancestral homeland"?

Chris Menke

Manke/Menke - West Prussia, Volhynia, North Dakota (Lower Saxony?)
Brandt - West Prussia
Schroeder - West Prussia
Schappert - Galicia