[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village lists from western Volhynia (was Surname Translation)

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Mon May 28 17:51:13 PDT 2012

Hi All,

Some years ago Heinrich Bettig - who lived in Bramsche, in northern Germany, wrote about his visit to his home village - Berestowiec in the summer of 1987.  He drew a map of the village and identified all the homes of the residents and wrote of his tour. It was published in some German journal.  I have a copy of his typed letter and the map. Looking at the list of names on this website and the names on the map, it would appear to be the source.

Heinrich Bettig was a relative of John Bettig, who lives in the Benton Harbor area - a Baptist minister who travels to the Ukraine from time to time.  I think my Mom said that John's father and Heinrich's
 father were cousins.

Many of the names show up on Bill Remus's gedcom
http://remus.shidler.hawaii.edu/genes/Volhynia/adeutschlander.htm

My Mom knew both John and Heinrich Bettig and also a Paul Bettig and his wife Hildegard who lived in St. Joseph MI. (John's brother) Paul Bettig's family lived in Gonaschriche/Goncharykha  (sp. varies!). I had asked my Mom to contact Paul Bettig for a list of residents of the Goncharykha village (next to Solomka/Nakoty and Szredne) only a few miles distant and I have a brief list  of about 25 names if anyone has connections to this village.  Am not sure of the spellings though.  There were more Ukrainians in this village.

Helen

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the
 future. --Herbert Spencer