[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kalisch Research

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:32:31 PST 2012

Specifically, what names (given name and surname) are you searching?
What specific dates would you be looking for?

If you are looking for a birth of a Johann Schmidt around 1870, you must
have
the names of both parents.  I pick a very common name, but this would
hold true for ANY name that you are searching.

Kalisz was the name of a town.
It was the name of a parish, that encompassed a few hundred villages.
It was the name of a gubernia (province or state, roughtly) with a few
thousand villages.

In Volhynian records, it is usually the gubernia that is meant.
I can think of a dozen or so Lutheran parishes that were in
the gubernia of Kalisch.  Yes, a dozen.  Most are unindexed anywhere.

Tell us more about the specific people you would be searching.
If you know the names of siblings (approximate birth years, or their order
of birth)
of a specific answer that you are seeking, this would be very helpful to
know.

There will be MANY people who might be familiar with surnames and how
they might be associated with one or more parishes.

Al Muth