[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] schleger or Sclegel family

Albert Muth albertmuth734 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:06:07 PST 2012

Anton Schleger's second marriage to Emilie Girch is indexed in the Stpete
(VKP records) as

Groom Surname Groom Given Name Event Day and Month Event Year Place
Parish Bride
Surname Bride Given Name Film or Item Page Number Register Remarks Schleger
Anton 10 Jan 1883 Rosyszcze Rozyszcze Gerat Emilie 1895614/3 708 16

I have the actual church record, and the name appears as Gerst.  I will
send a copy of this to you
separately, in case you do not yet have it.

It states the Anton Schleger is a widower of Marianne Reich, and he resides
in Kurgan.  This couple is in the Master Pedigree Database, under the
spelling Schlegel.

The bride Emilie Gerst is the daughter of Johann Gerst and Ernestine
(Albrecht), originally from Xawerow in Polen.
Emilie's parents are in the Master Pedigree Database also, dad is Johann
Ferdinand Giersch (which is a closer
rendition of the name that you show, Girch). The age in the marriage record
is difficult to read; I would have guessed 27, but it turns out that 17 is
closer to the mark.  Emilie was born 6 March 1866 in Ksawerów, in the
Evangelical parish of Dąbie in Russian Poland (Kalisz gubernia, which comes
up for discussion repeatedly.

To know more about the parents of Anton Schlegel, that is Johann Schlegel
and Jadwiga Jabłońska, you need
to examine Anton's first marriage record (in Dąbie 810674, 1864 #38) more
carefully than I did years ago to read the place of birth.  I read it as
Józefki,but with ending changes, maybe it is Józefków.  and where is it, in
relation to the parish of Dąbie?  Is Jadwiga a Polish woman, or is she a
German Hedwig Jabłoński.  and should we also be looking for the surname
Appel(t).

Separately, I will also send you a copy of the first marriage record.
Anton is Roman Catholic, so forget about Hedwig Appelt for a while.  The
record reads "rodem z Jozefki", so you need to find a Józefka.  He and his
parents (both still living in 1864) reside in Smardzew.  There are many
locations in Poland having each of these names, so you need to be sure
to find the ones that are close by.  Both villages are in the Roman
Catholic parish of Pieczew, for which the FHL in Salt Lake City has filmed
records.

Good luck

Al Muth
Detroit area