[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] more records on-line

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Wed Oct 10 05:41:24 PDT 2012

Hopefully the cause of death will be listed on the film but checking neighbouring deaths might lead to a clue if there was a local epidemic.

Some Pandemics and Epidemics worldwide are listed in Wikipedia - not complete - but extensive enough -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic

and note especially Cholera outbreaks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera_outbreaks_and_pandemics

do a search/ find (Control+F) for 1887 - but also for Russia or Russian Empire   as this dreadful disease had a number of pandemics

And then there was typhus during WWI and just after ( two of my gt. grandparents died of this in 1919)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemic_typhus

"During World War Ityphus caused three million deaths in Russia and more in Polandand Romania. Delousing stations were established for troops on the Western front but the disease ravaged the armies of the Eastern front, with over 150,000 dying in Serbia alone. Fatalities were generally between 10 to 40 percent of those infected, and the disease was a major cause of death for those nursing the sick. Between 1918 and 1922 typhus caused at least 3 million deaths out of 20–30 million cases. In Russia after World War I, during a civil warbetween the Whiteand Red armies, typhus killed three million, largely civilians. "

Even childhood diseases like measle, mumps, chickenpox and whooping cough were often deadly. (my uncle - a toddler in 1940 - died of complications from chicken pox in Dresden, Germany, just after my mother's family left Wolhynia!).

And TB was still rampant and apparently was the cause of up to 25% of deaths in Europe in the 1800s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis

We don't realize how lucky we are today when most of these diseases no longer exist in the Western World, lthough a few outbreaks do occur from time to time.

Helen

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future.
--Herbert Spencer