[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] german directories

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 07:12:46 PDT 2012

Hello Vera,

I first began to build my genealogy file by using EWZ; not only were my
parents in there, but most of my extended family were as well. I just
had to order EWZ films looking for relatives. I was even able to
identify photos in the family album that way because of the "mug shots"
in the EWZ Stammblatt records. But I, too, have no idea how many of
these people survived WWII or where they were resettled during or after
the war. You must also keep in mind that many people emigrated from
Germany after WWII, eventually becoming citizens in the USA, Canada (my
family went to both of these countries) or other countries. So looking
only in German directories does not mean you will find these relatives,
especially with a name as common as Hoffmann.

So, what can you do? First, you can post the sons' names, birth dates
and ancestral village along with the names of their parents on this
List. Second, you should prepare your data and send a gedcom to
databases at sggee.org for inclusion in our database. Perhaps another
member has already submitted some of the same data with information
about these people; you will be contacted about this. As a community,
SGGEE members have many people in common. And the German members are
part of other German genealogy groups, so they may have good suggestions.

Through either members of SGGEE or people in Germany who subscribe to
this List and pursue genealogy interests, I gained friends who knew the
names of my primary family and that we shared in the Lublin parish
community pre-1940. Some of these new friends located my missing first
cousins in Germany and also connected me with others who were not on
this list who shared my primary surnames, and they, too, were second
cousins. Without being an active member of SGGEE, I would never have
found these relatives.

Best wishes on your search,
Sigrid Pohl Perry
Pohl, Domres, Hapke, Nickel, Wolski, Schaeffler, Mantei,
Buettner/Bitner, Dalke, Kuehn, Gatzke, et al