[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname Schlodinski

Christopher Menke chrismenke at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:13:14 PDT 2012

Greetings All,

This surname has piqued my interest for a few reasons. There were many Schlodinski's in Volhynia (Alexandria area) who married into families my family is related to: Stegmann and Latotzke in particular. Like my Manke family at least one thru marriage left Volhynia for Neche, North Dakota.

The 2nd reason I am interested is in looking at microfilms from Culm, West Prussia where my Manke, Brandt, and Schroeder lines come from, I have seen that the Schlodinski's go way way back with the Schroeder's: as early as 1780 they were godparent's for each other's children.

My 2 questions are:

1. Is anyone else on the list looking at this name?

2. Would Schlodinski be a germanized Polish name, or a polonized German name?

Other spelling variations are Schlodinsky, Schlodenski, Schlodensky

Best Regards,
   Chris Menke