[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] re infant mortality

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Fri Sep 21 15:58:05 PDT 2012

And my two cents worth

Not only infants were susceptible to early deaths - it apparently was rare for people to die of old age!  With death in childbirth, cholera, typhus, tuberculosis and accidents, it was not an easy life - whether in Europe or Britain or North America.  My grandmother's brother was injured in a woodcutting accident - his back was broken.  He was only in his early 30s. Taking him to hospital in Rowno meant a very painful and bumpy ride in a wagon only 15 km. away, a very difficult journey.  He did not live long time. The outbreak of the Spanish Flu just at the end of the First World War killed millions around the world, including a number of my ancestors - just after they returned from Siberia..

This article explains it simply....

http://www.understandingyourancestors.com/wea/death.aspx

Helen

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future. --Herbert Spencer