[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Copyright materials

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 1 06:04:33 PDT 2013

There has been some recent discussion about mass downloading of the original records images being posted by various Archives in Russian Poland.

I would like to point out that these images are potentially under copyright of their respective Archives (depending on the laws governing that in Poland).  Some of them even effectively state that with a watermark across the page.  To download an entire set of documents is probably just as illegal as photocopying an entire set of LDS microfilms.  Copying or downloading of a single item(s) for research purposes would be acceptable under most copyright laws.

I am not trying to be Internet police or judge here.  I am just trying to warn of possible problems and to state publicly that neither I nor SGGEE condone this practice.

Jerry