[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Missing Records

pnswork at aol.com pnswork at aol.com
Tue Apr 2 15:00:38 PDT 2013

In Poland in the 1850's (then part of Russia), there was a requirement to record all vital statistics (births marriages and deaths) at the local civil registry.  However, instead of appointing and paying separate civil servants to take care of this, the authorities "deputized" the local pastors and / or priests to perform this duty for their congregants.  If there was no parish for a given religious persuasion, then the people would register these events at the local Catholic Church.  The priest there would record the event and add text to the effect that these people were Lutheran, Baptist, and so forth.

I have found several "lost" people by looking in the local Catholic Church records.

    -Paul