[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Other on-line documents from Poland

Paul Rakow paul.edward.luther.rakow at desy.de
Fri Apr 12 11:08:11 PDT 2013

   Hello everyone,

    With all the excitement about new online church books and other
  vital records, you may not have noticed that the Polish archives
  are also posting a lot of other scanned records that should be
  interesting to genealogists.

      For example, some town records from Kornik, near Poznan,
  one of my ancestral towns, are now on line. Looking through the
  wojt's books and council books I found entries showing when my
  3-greats-grandfather, my 4-greats-grandfather, and my
  5-greats-grandfather became burghers of the town; the deeds
  for a half house owned by my 4-greats grandfather; and many other
  interesting things.

        How do I find these things?

        Go to the web-site

  http://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/

  Close the pop-up "Bazy danych w archiwach panstwowyc";

  Click the Union Jack (or the German or Polish flag if you prefer),

  Tick the box "only with scans/tylko ze skanami" below the search box,

  Select the tab "Everything/Wszystko" above the search box
  (instead of the tab "Vital records and civil registers/
  Akta metrykalne i stanu cywilnego", which most instructions for
  this site steer you to);

    Type the place name you are interested in into the search box;

    Click "Search/Szukaj"

     See what comes up - there are lots of places that still have
  nothing on line, it will probably take years for the online material
  to catch up with the LDS microfilms, and even longer for the online
  material to get anywhere close to what is available if you visit
  an archive in Poland. But, you might get lucky, especially if you
  have several places to try.

      If you want a really impressive example of how much is online
  for some cities, try doing a search for Lublin.

          Hope this is useful,

               Paul Rakow