[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] What a difference a little DNA makes!!!!

rhonda simpson garynrho at live.ca
Mon Aug 5 10:00:15 PDT 2013

After years of searching for my fathers ancestors in Poland and Volhynia, and finding some things, but not much past my grandparents parents names,  our family had our DNA tested (23andMe).  Dad no longer with us couldn’t contribute, but fortunately my mother was so we were able to separate her contribution to my DNA from Dad’s.

I have to say, my Dad’s Russian/German/Polish ancestry composition was very surprising.  This is just for information for any that may be considering this, this is what I found out.  (plus a bevy of health data which was very informative)

Here’s my paternal ancestry breakdown  1st view is Standard View, 2nd view is Speculative View:  (paternal grandfather born in Lomza, Poland, paternal grandmother born somewhere in Zhitomir and her parents  in Warsaw area).  The following data holds some surprises, confirms some rumours, and dispels some family lore.

Personally, I am very glad that we had it done.  The other interesting outcome of this is that on their DNA Relatives match, I now have 900+ DNA relatives on my Paternal side that I didn’t know about, ranging from 3rd to Distant cousin.  Boy did my Christmas Card list ever grow, or should I say my Hanukah Card list.

Rhonda

Standard View
49.8%  European

Northern European