[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Middle Names

Paul Rakow paul.edward.luther.rakow at desy.de
Sat Aug 24 12:26:42 PDT 2013

  Hello Tammy,

       The birth record is usually one of the places where you
  see all the person's names, so the most likely thing is that
  you will find her as Maria Magdalena, but I would also look for
  Magdalena Maria, or just Maria, or just Magdelena.

      You can't tell for sure which of her names was the
  "Rufname" (the name she was normally called by), but if
  she used Marie in the US, that's more likely the one she
  was known by in Russia too.

       There was no set rule about which name Germans used as
  the Rufname - you might see some (American) web pages telling
  you it was always the second name, and never the first - that's
  not true, it could be any of the names.

             Paul Rakow