[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Maria Magdelena

William Remus remus at hawaii.edu
Sat Aug 24 14:15:44 PDT 2013

> Dear Tammy

I work with both the Lutheran and Catholic records in Prussian Poland. Here
is what I have noted.

The pastor or priest in the old country might write Marie as Low Germans
pronounced the e at the end as a or Maria which would be the spelling
generally used by Polish people. So no difference in how her name sounded.
So she didn't change names.

Maria was really a common name where there were Catholics since Mary was
the Mother of Jesus. Anna was also very important as Anna was the Mother of
Mary in Catholic tradition.  So there were lots of Marias and Annas. Thus
it was common to use the middle name. In Lutheran villages Maria was not so
popular so the first name often used.

In Lutheran villages, Johan was a very popular name and often the middle
name was used or the full name. I have lots of cases where the middle names
of my Johan Remus were not used and it is very confusing sorting them out.

regards
Bill Remus