[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Marianufka -- Location Name?

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 06:29:14 PDT 2013

A town ending in "ufka" will be translated phonetically by those in North America. The true spelling is "owka" where they pronounce the w like we do the v. There are several Marianowka/Marjanowka in Volhynia and given that this person probably ended up near Chelm it is more likely that the one near Rowno is where she came from. The others I found are more east and people out that far usually had no connections with the Lublin/Chelm region.

If this person who made your grandmother's dress was born in 1891 then it is likely your grandparents were married after WW I. There is a high probability that this marriage can be found in our Lublin database:
https://www.sggee.org/research/parishes/lublin_records/lublinsearchinstruct.html

Karl