[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] buckwheat

Helen Gillespie gilleh23 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 10:35:21 PST 2013

My Mom told me that in Wolhynia after trees were logged out, farmers would
sow buckwheat.  It was a short crop and would not only break up the soil
for future plantings and  the flowers are attractive to bees for honey,  it
would fertilize the soil as well as suppress weed seeds from germinating.

http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=184
http://www.jeffersoninstitute.org/pubs/buckwheat.shtml

I assume they made use of the crop for grits for sausage and other porridge
(Kasha) or baked goods from the flour. Poor man's food - but hearty.  Even
fodder for the animals.  But then our ancestors practiced organic farming.

Helen