[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Records in Poland

Sandra Burke sburke091 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 9 13:47:17 PST 2013

Hello,
	I have been working on the genealogy of my paternal ancestors since 2010.  I hired a researcher from Poland but have had the most success through SGGEE.  I was blessed to take a trip to Poland and Ukraine in 2010 that was life-changing.  I continue to search but am wondering what is reasonable to expect from records in Poland.  My ancestors were poor laborers, many were illiterate.  How far back do church records go?   At what point should I stop searching because there just are not any more records available? Another question I have is why my ancestors spoke German but lived in Poland?  When I sat in the archives in Poznan in Poland, I also noticed that the books with my ancestors records had been microfilmed by the Mormons.  Therefore, is it necessary to hire researchers in Poland?  Can I find these records myself at the Mormon Church local history centers?  Is it worth taking a trip to Salt Lake City, Utah?  I know that some of the records I need from Ukraine are still being indexed and not yet available.  I know I have many questions;  many of you have much more experience and knowledge than I do and I want to be efficient and reasonable with my expectations.  Thank you so much.

Sandy Burke
Indiana