[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Records in Poland

Jerry Frank franklyspeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 10 17:01:59 PST 2013

Bruce and all,

Your message was good EXCEPT for one major point.  Catherine the Great had nothing whatsoever to do with the migration of Germans to either Russian Poland or Volhynia.  I have to say that she never offered your Knulls or Buelows any land.  She was long dead before Russian Poland was created and before the German migration into Volhynia.

Most Germans were in Russian Poland by default when Russia took over land in 1815 which had previously been occupied by Prussia.  Some migration from Prussia to Russian Poland continued to occur after 1815 because of the opportunities in cloth making (especially in the Lodz region but others as well) and the availability of land for farming.  There were a few Germans in Volhynia prior to 1830 (mostly in trades such as glass making but some farmers as well).  Migration of small consequence started in the 1830s with cloth makers and farmers moving in at the invitation in particular of Polish landlords.  A second migration with large numbers began in the 1860s.

For more detail about German migration to the eastern regions see the Dec 2001, Mar 2002, Mar 2003 and Jun 2004 Journals.

Jerry